- Forthcoming. “Revisiting Senatorial Courtesy and the Selection of Judges to the U.S. Courts of Appeals.” Political Research Quarterly. With Nicholas O. Howard. (Supplementary Appendix)
- 2020. “Does Local Journalism Stimulate Voter Participation in State Supreme Courts?” Journal of Law and Courts, 8(1): 95-126.
- 2019. “Judicial Institutions and the Political Economy of Retirements.” Political Behavior.
- 2019. “New-Style Campaigns in State Supreme Court Retention Elections.” State Politics and Policy Quarterly, 19(2): 127-54.
- 2019. “The Chief Justice as Effective Administrative Leader: The Impact of Policy Scope and Interbranch Relations.” Social Science Quarterly, 100(4): 1358-68. With Richard L. Vining, Jr. and Teena Wilhelm.
- 2017. “The Politics of the U.S. Federal Judiciary’s Requests for Institutional Reform.” Social Science Quarterly, 98(5): 1277-95. With Richard L. Vining, Jr. and Teena Wilhelm.
- 2015. “Deliberation Rules and Opinion Assignment Procedures in State Supreme Courts: A Replication.” Justice System Journal, 36(4): 395-410. With Teena Wilhelm and Richard L. Vining, Jr.
- 2013. “The Voting Behavior of President Obama’s Appointees on the U.S. Courts of Appeals.” Judicature, Vol. 97: 137–143. With Susan B. Haire and Barry Edwards.
- 2018. “Alabama: Race, Realignment, and One-Party Politics.” In The New Politics of the Old South: An Introduction to Southern Politics, Vol. 6. Edited by Charles S. Bullock, III and Mark Rozell. Rowman and Littlefield.
- Hughes, David A. (2019). “Review: Judicial Elections in the 21st Century. (Edited by Chris W. Bonneau and Melinda Gann Hall).” Law and Politics Book Review, Vol. 29(3): 31-3.
- Hughes, David A. (2014). “Review: The Behavior of Federal Judges: A Theoretical and Empirical Study of Rational Choice. (By Lee Epstein, William M. Landes, and Richard A. Posner).” The Journal of Politics, Vol. 7 (2).